Saturday 25 November 2017

Battleground 2017 Report : Attack on Coastal Battery 338

What a week ! But despite the challenging weather in Cumbria during the week I managed to sort myself out and put on my participation game at Battleground Stockton on Tees. A nice medium sized show with friendly atmosphere. I ran a Bolt Action skirmish game as part of my Sealion campaign. A german paratroop attack on Coastal Battery 338. This was a real Battery on Copt Point to the SE of Folkestone, sporting a couple of 6” naval guns, a Martello tower observation post and various Bofor anti aircraft guns.

I think I played the game 5 or possibly 6 times during the day, with a full range of results. As far as I could tell everybody enjoyed it. Masses of positive comments, so thank you for those. I only took a couple of shots for the record, and sadly didn’t have time to really look at any of the other games. Slightly frustrating as some lovely ACW on show.
The game in situ 
The game itself really only takes place beyond the barbed wire the rest is ‘eye candy’
The german Fallschirmjager have landed early morning with the residents of Wear Bay Road going about their business
There is a Martello tower used during the war as an observation post
One of the few new additions for the show a Mk1 Bofor anti aircraft gun there were several on the actual site
The game in action

The scores were roughly equal although as I play to ensure the participant enjoys it the Germans had the upper hand except when I can’t help rolling sixes all the time. ........thanks to my helper Steve I also picked up a good selection of loot from the bring and buy plus a couple of bits I grabbed towards the end.
To make some german artillery and supply wagons
African shields needed for some congo figures and probabaly some Persians
A unit of WW1 trench types who might find their way into VBCW or Sealion

Some nice german officers and generals
Religious types ! courtesy of Grubby Tanks who did me a deal.
A big german Gun πŸ˜€πŸ˜€πŸ˜€
Some early german SS
Some gunners of civilians for M&T
Two Kubelwagon wagons which turn out to be Foundry with most of a german heavy weapons team
An SS Mortar team

Lithuanian sheds !

Finally a collection of miscellaneous german figures who will find themselves in various units in the future

All in all a splendid day, spoke to lots of people, was good to see the Old Guard Wargamers displaying their 10 mm ACW games.

34 comments:

  1. A splendid showcase for the hobby there Matt and a good haul of toys to boot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were some great games on show. It felt like a good atmosphere so hopefully I added a small part 😬

      Delete
  2. Impressive looking game you hosted, Matt. WOW! What a pile of loot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....I might have slightly altered the earths magnetic field ! But my excuse was my wife said buy something for Christmas ! So I might not open the Howitzer just yet πŸ™‚

      Delete
  3. The Martello Tower is a very unusual and eye catching item to see on a table. That is a really nice sized game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have run a couple of these participation games and find quick play works well. Personally I think we need a few more similar games at every show as it would really encourage new gamers ? But I’m not starting a campaign or anything πŸ€”

      Delete
  4. A super table there Matt, folk would have enjoyed playing the game or even just admiring it! Grand haul of new toys too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David the effort was worth it. I need to decide how many shows I might like to do next year ? Not sure yet....

      Delete
  5. Nice haul and very impressive table Matt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good that you ran a participation game because I think they help the hobby grow, or at least diversify. Such a fantastic table too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve I can only agree..πŸ˜€ I thin shows and participant really need to think hard about how they engage with Punters.

      Delete
  7. Great looking game and always busy when I passed by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sorry if I was busy would have been good to have a chat πŸ˜€

      Delete
  8. The table looks superb Matt and some cracking loot to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I agree with everyone else and have to say its a great looking game you've got there Matt. And having played your game at Penrith show, earlier in the year, I do know you put on a good game.

    But not being able to check out the show is a bit of a shame. Don't really know what you could do, tbh. Take a lunch break and have a wander for half an hour mid-day? One less game would be played, and would need someone watching the table, but it would allow you to check out the show and enjoy yourself as much as the people playing your game do.

    Anyway, you and your games are definitely a great addition to the NE of England shows! Long may you keep coming east.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy........you are very kind. I need to decide what I am planning for next year now πŸ™‚

      Delete
  10. Matt this looks a beautiful little game
    I really wished I had spotted it
    I must have "snow blinded" by the variety of stuff at the show while rushing round, my loss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers the challenge of running a game means it is hard to spend much time visiting the other games.πŸ˜€

      Delete
  11. Great looking game there. A shame you couldn't wander the halls for a while, but at least you got a nice haul of loot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I did scamper about a bit near the end throwing my hard earned cash at traders πŸ˜€

      Delete
  12. I had hoped to get down for this show but missed out. Are you running this again at all or was it a one off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame it was a pretty good show. Not sure I will run exactly the same game again but I was just planning on what I might do next year ?

      Delete
  13. good to see you, the game looked great and you were busy all day. see you soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep will try and sort a date before or over Christmas ? Any to avoid ?

      Delete
  14. Lovely looking game and a substantial haul!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good to see you again this year Matt and a great looking game as well, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Leon a good show we will be back next year

      Delete
  16. Your game looked awesome, my son was keen to get stuck in but we had to dash. Hopefully next year i'll be more organised. Form a punters point of view, we really appreciate the effort you put in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry your lad didn’t get a game things were a bit quieter in the afternoon but if you had to go then so be it. Most likely I will be back next year...πŸ˜€

      Delete